B.U.I.L.D. Mentoring Collective
What is BMC?
The B.U.I.L.D. (Broaden. Uplift. Inspire. Lead. Develop.) Mentoring Collective is a mentoring initiative and partnership. Graduate and undergraduate students are matched with City of Syracuse middle and high school students in one-on-one relationships for an academic year. Through these relationships, as well as recreational and group activities, mentors will provide mentorship, academic support/tutoring and guidance to local youth.
Mentors can encourage their mentee’s self-confidence and self-esteem. They can also help them plan for the future and expose them to higher education opportunities. Mentors in turn benefit from their mentees. They learn how to be reliable and conscientious of others while providing guidance and support to those in need.
The program is not intended to make every participant a college-bound student. Rather, we aim to provide adolescents with someone who can offer friendship and support with day-to-day issues as well as in planning for the future. We do, however, hope to make college less intimidating, and to present it as one option among many. We want participants to understand that life does afford them a myriad of options and opportunities. All they have to do is choose.
How does BMC work?
- Mentors and mentees will primarily have scheduled meetings once every three weeks.
- Mentors and mentees (with parental approval) will meet on their own and communicate via electronic tools (email, Facebook, video conferencing, etc.)
- Participants will be brought together for the Annual Sisters Empowering Sisters Conference in March and additional applicable activities.
Who are our Mentees?
Mentees are middle and high school students from the Syracuse City area who enjoy and benefit from individual relationships with college students, alumni and professionals. The program is designed for students with various needs and backgrounds. Mentees elect to fill out applications and are not assigned to the program by parents or guidance counselors.
Interested in mentoring?
B.U.I.L.D. mentors include:
- Syracuse Mentors – Local mentors including, but not limited to Syracuse University current students and alumni and various professionals within the Syracuse community.
- Virtual Mentors – Mentors from around the country for girls interested in meeting with someone outside of their community or with whom they have come in contact through an Image Initiative, Inc. program. Click here to download the application (link to pdf).
- Image Initiative, Inc. Alumni Mentors – Peer-to-peer mentoring where girls who have participated in our programs and graduated from high school lend their personal, peer guidance to current girls. Click here to download the application (link to pdf).
The Image Initiative, Inc. interviews and screens each applicant to make appropriate matches.